Tuesday, December 17, 2013

October & November Performance Updates!

Hey PinoyJeep Followers,

Today while walking back home, I stopped to take the picture below. My golly gee! Once it reached 3 o'clock, the snow has not stopped! I (foolishly) decided to wear sneakers today, and by the time I reached the door, I could barely feel my feet because they were soaked in snow! I'll definitely wear my waterproof boots next time. Unfortunately, unlike in the Philippines, I can't just wear flip-flops and sandals anymore. Oh well...




On the bright side, due to the snow storm canceling all afternoon activities, I decided to write this blog post! Yes, it's been decades since anyone has posted anything (due to school, Thanksgiving break, and a mixture of just pure laziness =_="), but I hope to change that. There's so much I want to update you about, so this week, I'll try to do it post by post. Good thing we've finally reached the caroling season and...WINTER BREAK, which means you'll be hearing more regularly from the PinoyJeep bloggers you love the most! We won't let you down so easily, and we hope you won't let us down either! :D

Anyway, to make up for the last two months, the rest of this post will be dedicated to briefly mentioning a handful of IP performances/Filipino events that have happened thus far! So here we go:

Saturday, October 5 - Children's Museum of Boston

While I don't know what went on exactly (so sorry I didn't get to come), I heard it was similar to our performance last spring at Museum. The rondalla performed 3-4 songs, and a few of the members explained to the kids the meaning of each song. From what I heard, the kids were definitely engaged and havin'  lotsa fun!



Sunday, October 6th - Noli Me Tangere, the Grand Opera Performance



Thanks for those of you who attended Noli Me Tangere at Hunter College in New York. Noli Me Tangere is a novel written by the Philippine National Hero, Jose Rizal, during the Spanish colonization of the Philippines. The book served to expose the injustices of the spanish government and the priests during the late 1800s, which helped to instigate the Philippine Revolution.

A handful of IP parents attended the performance. The show, from what I heard, was astounding! I also want to note that a few members of the Cornell Rondalla attended too. As some may know, Michael Dadap, who conducted the music for Noli, founded our Iskwelahang Pilipino Rondalla and the 14 Strings! Cornell Filipino Rondalla!

Congrats, Noli, for a successful night!

October 30th - New York Performance at the Philippine Consulate 

During the month of October, a few rondalla members came together to practice for a one-hour long that would be performed for delegates in NYC. They showcased thirteen of our songs with choreography and in costume. While I couldn't go, from what I heard, they rocked it!
For those Rondalla members who took the four hour trek to New York City on a school night, congratulations!



Saturday, November 16th - Mass held by the Filipino Apostolate

Rondalla members played a song for the recessional at the conclusion of mass.

Saturday, November 23rd - Clark University

A small 2-3 song setlist to fundraise for the victims of typhoon Haiyan.


So sorry that I don't have very much information at the moment. I promise to post pictures and add more information later! Caroling performances will be mentioned in a following post.

Sierra Jamir

No comments:

Post a Comment